Saturday, August 6, 2011

toño

Antonio, Toño for short, came to live at Love & Hope in April. He was in a government-run home, but Rachel was asked if we would take him since he has cerebral palsy and we already have several children with special needs.

When Kelly and Rachel went to pick up Toño and bring him home, he exclaimed, "¡Vamos a la Casa de Cristal! " (We're going to the Crystal House!) We don't know why he said that, but to this day he still calls our home "the Crystal House." 

Toño attends therapy where he used to live. The first time he went back after moving to L&H he excitedly told the other children, "They have food! And water! " How heartbreaking that this was such a novelty for him! And equally as heartbreaking is, while he was able to escape his former living situation, other children continue to live that reality. For the first few weeks in April, whenever Toño went to therapy or elsewhere away from the home, he would always ask, "But we're going to come back (to L&H), right? "

Toño is the happiest child in our home. I think this is partly because he knows how much better life is at Love & Hope than where he used to live. But mostly, it's because he has a beautiful soul.

Whenever I enter the room, Toño is the first to greet me. "¡Amanda! " he yells for my attention, and when I walk over to hug him, he hugs back. He loves music, singing and to repeat whatever anyone says in English, even though he doesn't understand. 

Toño's birthday was yesterday. This was my second chance to be in charge of a birthday celebration, and it was less stressful this time around. However, I am still amazed that the kids won't wait for the cake to come to them, no matter how many times I ask them to sit down. I also discovered it wasn't a novelty to have every one of them ask if they could carry the presents or carry the cake to the table. I think the prospect of cake makes them more hyper than the cake itself.

Anyway, here's to a delicious Oreo ice cream cake (if I do say so myself) and one of the sweetest little boys I've ever met! ¡Toño, te amo!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...