Tuesday, August 2, 2011

the wonderful world of Disney

Living in a foreign country, with all the different foods, bacteria, etc., messes with your body. Normally, I rarely become ill, but since I've been here, I've been fighting to stay healthy for more than two weeks at a time. Last night I had a fever and was shivering uncontrollably despite wearing sweatpants and laying under a sheet and three blankets. I am feeling better today, but still have a low-grade fever.

Whenever I feel miserable, and can't do anything but lie in bed or on the couch feeling sorry for myself, I revert to childhood and watch Disney movies. They comfort me and provide distraction by transporting me to a world where good always triumphs over evil, the boy always gets the girl, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Cinderella  is a typical choice. The Jungle Book. Sword in the Stone. I think I watched The Great Mouse Detective  when I was sick this past winter. It's interesting, however, that I tend not to watch the classics from my generation - The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin.


Which Disney prince/princess/character do you like?

Last night and today, I watched Robin Hood  (probably my favorite pre-1989 Disney movie). When I was younger, my friends and I had conversations about which Disney princess we'd like to be, which one we are most like, and which Disney prince we'd like to marry. While princess-wise, I could never decide between Ariel and Belle, I know I'd definitely marry foxy Robin Hood (even though he's not actually a Disney prince). I love his courage, cleverness, devotion/love for Maid Marian, and his voice.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...