When they told me that last September was an absolutely miserable month because it rained everyday, I believed them.
But when this September passed with mostly sunny days and rain at night, I hoped maybe we'd gotten lucky. Maybe the rainy season wouldn't be as intense this year. Maybe last year was a fluke.
Oh, how wrong I was.
It has now been raining for three days straight. This is not an exaggeration; there has been no respite. Sometimes it's drizzling, other times sprinkling, but more often than not, it's a heavy downpour. And there's no end in sight.
My bedsheets are damp.
My toliet paper is damp.
My clothes are damp.
My feet are cold (why didn't I bring boots or at least an impermeable pair of closed-toed shoes)?
Mold is rampant.
Electricity is intermittent.
Ironically, we ran out of water to wash clothes, dishes, ourselves.
When power and water are available, it seems counter-intuitive and unproductive to shower.
Walking on the tiles and stairs from my room to the house is an anxiety-provoking, hazardous trek.
Around the country, flooding is widespread.
Cars have been obliterated by falling trees and mudslides.
The Ministry of Education cancelled school today.
I wish I could say I am embracing the saying I posted my OWU apartment wall:
But I'm not. I just really, really, REALLY want the rain to go away...

No comments:
Post a Comment