Monday, July 18, 2011

52 books in 52 weeks

Living in El Salvador provides me with more time and freedom to do things I want to do, instead of only doing things I have to do. I am more involved in self-care activities - exercise, reflection, prayer, writing (blogging and journaling), reading - than I have in the past few years.
Growing up, reading was one of my greatest passions; I think I read a book a week (or maybe two or three) without trying. Unfortunately, after high school this rate greatly slowed down, and at times came to a grinding halt. Now that I have more time, I have been reading, but not as often as I'd like because I am too easily sucked into the virtual world (e-mail, blogging and Facebook). So, in order to be less attached to my computer and to re-ignite my passion for reading, my new goal is to read one book a week for the next year. 52 books in 52 weeks. To be fair, I stole this idea from another blog, but it's a good idea and should be shared.

I have twelve books with me and have already read two (A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L'Engle and The Power of Half, Kevin & Hannah Salwen), which I won't count as part of the 52 books in 52 weeks. That leaves me with 10 books (that I don't have to beg, borrow or buy). I will be here for approximately 21 more weeks, so I will have to find 11 more books to read.

Here's my list for the first month:

I would LOVE  suggestions for future reads! And I wouldn't object if you wanted to mail me a book or two. ;)

UPDATE: Now that I have figured out how to make multiple pages on the blog, you can follow my progress on the page 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

3 comments:

  1. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett
    "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

    I'll send them (and others) to you if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this idea! I would most definitely be willing to trade books with you at some point this fall if you'd like - I can't carry many with me either :/. Here's a few of my suggestions:
    -"Water for Elephants" - an intriguing story, though not too incredibly deep. A very fun read.
    -"Little Bee" - I wouldn't suggest this book to just anyone, but it was an absolutely incredible read. Very intense, flawed but beloved characters in the most beautiful, hope-filled tragedy I've read in a long time.
    -"Persuasion" (Jane Austen) - One of my all-time favorite books. I think you'd really appreciate it, too!

    Let me know how your 52 in 52 project goes! I'd love to hear what you think about all these books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby - Thanks for the suggestions. I have heard of these and want to read them!

    Alexa - I have read Water for Elephants. Good book. Better than the movie. I would love to read Little Bee and Persuasion and exchange books with you here is C.A. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...