Wednesday, September 14, 2011

amazing grace

On Sunday, Dad and I, along with a few friends, toured the land that is to become the future site of La Casa de Mi Padre, another children's home run by our friend, Gary Powell.

About halfway through our tour, he brought us to the tiny, white Salvadoran colonial-style chapel. After opening the windows, we sat down on the backless wooden pews, noting the resonant acoustics of this simple, beautiful space. Then Gary said, "You'll appreciate the acoustics even more if we sing. I'd like to pray for our group, and then perhaps Amanda would be gracious enough to lead us in song."

While Gary prayed, I listened, but was also striving to think of a worship song to which I knew all the lyrics. For 45 seconds I couldn't remember a single song and my stomach knotted up. Then, suddenly, "Amazing Grace" popped into my head. Okay, I thought, I can sing that.

And then God revealed himself.

After concluding his prayer, Gary asked. "Amanda, would you lead us in singing 'Amazing Grace'?"

My jaw literally dropped. "G-g-gary!" I stammered, amazed, "That is the exact song I was thinking of singing!"

"Is it really?" Gary drawled in his Southern accent, serenely smiling. I don't think much surprises Gary.

And so we sang, basking in God's presence, marveling at His sweet, sweet surprises, blessings and amazing grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...