Friday, November 11, 2011

rite of passage

Gorgeous
If you don't read this post, at least watch this video.

In the Latino culture, a quinceañera, or fifteenth birthday, is an important rite of passage, marking the transition from childhood to womanhood. The celebration often includes a religious ceremony reminiscent of a wedding, which begins with a procession of damas de honores, followed by the father escorting the young woman to the front of the church, where she stands in front of family and friends, declaring her commitment to God and a life of purity. 

After the church ceremony, there is a reception with dinner and dancing. Some countries also practice the "Tree of Life" ritual, where the birthday girl delivers fifteen candles to people she considers were most influential in her development over the past fifteen years.

Last March, Love & Hope celebrated its first quinceañera. Our friends from Imagen Photography were here to capture the day and this is the AMAZING video trailer. I cry every time I watch it and I wasn't even there. Though maybe that's why I cry...

These are my favorite girls.

The quinceañera is a beautiful tradition, celebrating and supporting a young woman at a critical transition in her life journey, that we lack in the U.S. Although we often have "Sweet Sixteen" parties, I feel they do not carry the same significance. 




I am sad I wasn't here to participate in this special day in Jocelyn's life, but am very excited to be here in March when we celebrate Shelby's quinceañera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...