Sunday, November 6, 2011

indelible experience

October 27, 2011

Dear Family and Friends, 

Greetings from El Salvador! As I write this at 8:30 p.m., I have just finished playing a game with Brenda, and most of the kids are preparing for bed. One child is screaming, the crickets are chirping, the neighbors are playing what sounds like Salvadoran polka music, and I know that in about three hours the roosters will begin crowing (they have no sense of time, whatsoever). These are the sounds, the routine, I’ve grown accustomed to; the things I expect to do, hear and experience at Love & Hope Children’s Home. These are the activities that make this house special, vibrant, sometimes unsettling, always entertaining. They are what make it home. 

When I moved to El Salvador 137 days ago, I didn’t know exactly what I would be doing, for how long or if I would ever call this place home. My Spanish speaking and listening skills were shaky. I didn’t have any friends here. I was afraid to drive. The kids didn’t care much about me. All I had was the faith and hope that this was where God was calling me, that He knew the plans He had for me, and would provide all my needs (Jeremiah 29:11). 

A lot has changed since the day I arrived, over four and a half months ago. I am confident in my position as the Director of Administration, scheduling our drivers, supervising the kitchen, managing our finances, completing accounting procedures, paying bills, writing paychecks, organizing our donations, remembering who needs to do what when (Rachel calls me the “brain”). My Spanish skills have improved by leaps and bounds. I have made true friends with whom I will keep in touch with the rest of my life. I can successfully weave in and out of heavy Salvadoran traffic. I have built strong relationships with many of the kids, and they seek me out for hugs, chats and individual attention. I’ve been able to travel, try new foods, new activities, and meet incredible people. And through all this, I can say that I have found a new place to call home. I only pray that I have blessed others as much as I’ve been blessed by being here.

I arrived in June with a six-month commitment, but always knew I may stay longer. I prayed about this decision from day one, and although there was no clear sign, as I felt there was before, about five weeks ago I made the decision to return for another six months after the New Year. I am certain my work here is not done, and I want to continue developing the relationships it’s taken me five months to solidify. 

In order to be able to do this, I am asking for your support, both in prayer and finances. I’ve created a budget, based on the past five months, to provide a picture of my financial needs.
Expenditure
Monthly Cost
Total Cost
Plane Flights

$800.00
Emergency Health Insurance

$450.00
*Money to spend on the kids (outings, activities, etc.)
$150.00
$900.00
Personal recreation activities (eating out, snacks, going to the movies)
$75.00
$450.00
Student Loan
$160.00
$960.00
TOTAL

$3560.00
*Not in original June-December budget. I take the kids down to the corner store to buy a snack or to the pupsería every once in a while, but ideally, I’d like to be able to take them to a movie, a nice restaurant or host a special event.

Thank you for considering sponsoring my mission work in El Salvador. If you are able to do so, please e-mail me (amanda.e.stewart@gmail.com) with all that apply:

I would like to support you through a one-time donation of $ _________ .
I would like to support you through a monthly donation of $ _________ .
I would like to donate frequent flyer miles to be applied toward your travels.
I would like to become a prayer advocate and support you in prayer on a regular basis.
I would like to receive routine updates about your work with Love & Hope.

Click here for ways to make tax-deductible donations.

I thank God for the unconditional love and support of my family and friends, without whom I wouldn’t be able to do what I do. I hope you’ve been able to follow my adventures through my blog. If you live in Ohio, I hope to see you while I am home in December, and if you aren’t in Ohio, let’s set-up a time to chat on the phone.

Dios te bendiga y te quiero
(God bless you and I love you),
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...